Friday, June 7, 2019

MY GIRLS' PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING EXPERIENCE




Hello esteemed reader, good morning, good afternoon depending on your time zone! Bonjour, Ni hao, Hola, Anyoung, Habari, Guten Tag.....gosh, i'm learning languages so i can reach out to y'all!  I hope you are having a wonderful time. It brings me joy when I have to communicate with you guys,...like I am checking on some friends whom I have been away from. Truth is I really do appreciate you being here and checking out this yet another post. I post every Friday.
Let's Do This!
This week I had a great opportunity to attend a three day Girls Photography Training organised by Mrs Amina Mohamed the CEO  www.triplefphototours.com. I must say my experience as regards this event was awesome and quite adventurous! Also, being an all girls thing, with exception of three male guides, it brought back that ancient spark of my days in high school.(I went to a single girls school for four years). It also reminded me of the many things that girls do when they are just being girls. The cliques, the untimely craving for eats, the complaints about a tiny hill climb, and more so, the silly stories around the "men messing us up." It all was a 'pretty little thing' to adore.
"My 'Floss' Skills are better than yours," Mrs Amina(right) takes on the challenge with Grace(left)
I set off on a chilly Tuesday morning to the famous "Kasubi Tombs" area from where we would be picked by one of the organizers to the venue to commence the training. I was expectant because i had waited for this day since April... haha, we all get that bit of anxiety sometimes, don't we? While I waited at the gate, a few more girls arrived too. I quickly "checked them out" to see whom I would then make friends with(i didn't know no body) for the three days or even after. Trust me I know how to tell whom to rhyme with in an instant.
 So I got a one Joyce, some Kenyan beauty and later on met a friend of Joyce's, Yvonne, who's Kenyan too. These two were my companions throughout the training, which is fantastic because I tend to be much of a loner and people usually mistake that for being unfriendly. So to be on the safer side, I always mingle up with a few that I can. Cheers to the introverts....
Joyce, a friend i made on arrival.
The training was absolutely enriching and fun too. Apart from having to revisit my knowledge about the aperture, shutter speed, ISO and the like(the lecture I ditched a thousand times at campus), the practical part was okay. I'm glad I now know a thing or two about how to take which shot for what purpose and also narrate a story behind it all.

Amina was kind enough to bring along some "goodies" to share with us from the "Days For Girls Waterloo Ontario Canada Team" an organisation dedicated to enlightening a girl child(and women too) about menstrual hygiene management and breaking barriers to self esteem brought about by the same.   ...This is or used to be the norm in many cultures around the world; When you visit an area that's beyond your locality, you take some gifts to the people and vice versa. However, the practice has died down considering the the "Me and myself" mindset so if anyone still has an ounce of "I can share this with someone" minus expecting something in return, that person is 👌👌 and that's what I think humanity should be!
 https://www.facebook.com/mississaugadfg/https://www.facebook.com/dfgwloo/
Via these links, you can read the devastating stories about how a girl child struggles with the stigma that comes with their menstrual cycles, its heartbreaking! Thanks to Days for Girls, we now know better,  speak for those who have no voice. Stop stigmatizing this whole thing, we can't undo it!!

This being more of a photography thing, let's have more of the shots than the talk, shall we? Note: One of the pictures down below is a bit gross but for the sake of our environment, i couldn't help bringing it up!
 Beautiful and Calm!

Look at that 'reflection of the water in the water,' shot by yours truly, ME!
Can't we save these trenches? Stop dumping garbage in there!

The poor drainage system and waste disposal in our slums hurts my feelings...for nature.
"As we go on, We remember"...Those final hugs.
                                                                   





8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the days of reminiscence gone by. The beauty of photography lies in its ability to capture the heart and emotions of a memory, a moment in time... Thanks Patie!
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear,
    It was a great experience and am honoured that i got a chance to meet you.

    Hope to see you soon.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really great getting to know new people like yourself and learning new stuff. And cheers to more of everything!

      Delete
  3. Nice photography Patie... What's the key to taking almost perfect photos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realized i only DMed you, ...from what i have learnt and still learning, its about practice and resilience and making it a habit to take as many shots of the same subject as possible so you have a range of options to learn through.

    ReplyDelete

SECOND ANNIVERSARY: CHEERS TO NEW BEGINNINGS

Cheers to Patie Polly's Take's second anniversary. Its Patie Polly's Take's second anniversary! Two years ago today, I did t...